I am exhausted. I’ve definitely caught a flu bug, cold, or something. But, I’ve had a lot on my mind and my “plate,” so I haven’t gotten sufficient rest. I think I’m cranky (don’t you just hate that when you feel that way?). For this week’s The Sunday Salon, I just wanted to update my co-bloggers, readers & friends on this past week’s “haps” and share my “stuff.”
- NEW BLOGSITE: I’m undergoing a site renovation. I have been working on a new theme, colors, etc. It’s coming along nicely. I’m going to try to “self-host,” but I am totally scared. I have not the slightest clue as to what I’m doing. Hopefully, the transition will work out okay and I’ll figure out the self-hosting rather quickly. I just can’t wait to show everybody the new, improved site… and am hopeful that you all enjoy it.
- THIS WEEK’S BOOKS: I’m doing some book tours, so I haven’t posted as many reviews as I usually do. I have reviewed The Lost Diary of Don Juan (post coming October 30th) and am currently finishing up Life After Genius (posting October 29th). What I can report is that I did enjoy both reads and the forthcoming reviews are favorable. I was able to post my review of The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. My favorite part of this post is that somebody actually wanted to pick up one of his books to “check him out,” and noted so on my post. She wanted to know my favorite one, if I could only recommend one… it was so hard… like picking out your favorite child. So, I emailed her. It was sooo cool!
- THIS WEEK’S ENTERTAINMENT NEWS & HEADLINES: I’m pleased to report that each week I will be sharing a sprinkling of entertainment news & current headlines. I’m focusing on the news that isn’t necessarily “mainstream,” and is fun or quirky. If you haven’t watched the “Joe The Plumber” video, it’s worth the couple of minutes. If you caught it on TV, don’t waste the time… but, it’s pretty humorous, the press, that it. DWTS is coming up tomorrow, so I’m looking forward to writing an update on the show. The video herein is the most current ABC video feed on DWTS and shows the “countdown clock” as to the next show (fun, huh?). My brother, Bill, keeps saying… “Cheryl Burrrrrr…..” because of how the announcer says “Cheryl Burke.” Now the kids always say, when talking about DWTS, “Cheryl Burrrrrr….”
- [clearspring_widget title=”Dancing With The Stars on ABC.com” wid=”47df2410700a0b8c” pid=”48f43d5f4dce5a55″ width=”300″ height=”250″ domain=”widgets.abc.com”]
- CONTESTS: Well, I’ve written and reminded about Menagerie’s Halloween Haunt. Entries are due by the 22nd. I was really hoping for more entries due to the size of the prize…. so, if you or your kids have a story, a post, or a referral on a good scary book…. get your comment posted or email me at email@example.com. I have a Second Chance Drawing for those who post the buttons on their blog post or sidebar, as well. For all of you who have entered… thanks so much for your participation! I appreciate it! My kids are so excited to help me judge the entries!
- BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH: A Novel Menagerie and Thursday’s Thoughts are focused on promoting Breast Cancer Awareness. I’ve prepared a button for your site, if you are interested in spreading the word… mainly to remind the women you know about self-exams and the benefit of mamograms. Thursday’s Thought’s Contest for the week hasn’t received as many entries as I’d hoped for. Since the “winning prize” is a donation to charity in the name of the winner, I may extend Thursday’s Thoughts for another week, rather than doing a new MEME/Contest next week. I’m really keeping my finger’s crossed on spreading the word via posts and buttons (badges). Thanks to Shana and Yasmin for all of their support on this effort.
Well, it’s time to take this cranky butt to bed. Yes, that’s where I need to be! I look forward to posting this week on The Fall Into Reading 2008 Challenge (where I’m at), Lit Flicks Challenge Update, and hopefully Home Girl and My Husband’s Sweethearts.
LINCOLN, Neb. – A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator’s lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn’t properly served, because of his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.
He said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused “widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants.”
Chambers has said he filed the lawsuit to make the point that everyone should have access to the courts regardless of whether they are rich or poor.
On Tuesday, however, Douglas County District Court Judge Marlon Polk ruled that under state law a plaintiff must have access to the defendant for a lawsuit to move forward.
“Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice,” Polk wrote.
Hole in the judge’s ruling?
Chambers, who graduated from law school but never took the bar exam, thinks he’s found a hole in the judge’s ruling.
“The court itself acknowledges the existence of God,” Chambers said Wednesday. “A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God’s omniscience.”
Therefore, Chambers said, “Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit.”
Chambers has 30 days to decide whether to appeal. He said he hasn’t decided yet.
Chambers, who has served a record 38 years in the Nebraska Legislature, is not returning next year because of term limits. He skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians.
Wow! GOD GOT SERVED!
According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women, other than skin cancer. This year approximately 178,480 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer. The number of breast cancer survivors in the United States alone is about 2.5 million women. <!–According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women, other than skin cancer. This year approximately 178,480 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer. The number of breast cancer survivors in the United States alone is slightly more than 2 million Women.–>
- Susan G. Koman For the Cure
- American Cancer Society
- National Breast Cancer Coalition (NBCC)
- National Breast Cancer Foundation
- Y–ME National Breast Cancer Organization
- Living With It
To find activities in your area as well as additional breast cancer resources, visit http://www.cancer.org.
In addition, there is a fundraising event at National Breat Cancer Foundation called the 6th Annual Pink Ribbon Challenge. There are great ways there that you can help and/or donate.
For this week’s Thursday’s Thoughts, the winner will have a $25 donation made in her (his) name to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
My prayers are with all of the women currently suffering from this disease and to their families who are so affected by it.
I made this badge if you want to post it on your site. Or, you can use this code:
Rocco & Karina Voted Off of the Show…
Well, Rocco, it’s too bad that you didn’t find that “musical bone in your body” next week. But, you were fun. Now, we will miss you and your Mom, too! But, why did you invite Bruno down? That was just pure “icky” watching him shake his “bumm.” Eeewww! No more of that! If you want to see video coverage of it, please see the ABC Video player in the DWTS 10.13.08 Wrap-Up Article. It will show you Bruno’s moves (icky!)
Trista & Ryan are expecting baby #2.
At least there is a success story from The Bachelor series! Congrats to Trista & Ryan on their upcoming baby.
Well, I wonder if there is some truth to all of that gossip about her affair with the baseball hunkie. Poor Guy…
Apparently, Maureen does tell all!
Sources report that there is a considerable amount of juicy sex gossip in this autobiography. I’m not sure whether or not I want to know what “Marcia Brady” did…
More entertainment news later, folks…
DWTS: Monday Night Madness!
The remaining couples this week are:
Brooke & Derek
They are very good. This week’s Samba was predictably good. Len Goodman was a bit flustered by the “sexiness” of the dance and didn’t like Brooke ripping off Derek’s glasses & opening his shirt, etc. Bruno went over the top complimenting Brooke on her sexiness. CarrieAnne did a decent job reviewing and rating. Yep, same ole, same ole. Probably will have great scores next week, too. (yawn)
Cloris & Corky (aka “Clorky”)
Cloris and Corky did really well this week! There was good technique, good drama, and a little fun sprinkled in. She showed she can contend! Bravo, Ms. Leachman! And, we got a few antics out of her during the show. I’m satisfied. She got a vote! And, she was awarded the title of Grand Marshall for the Rose Parade on New Years Day 2009 this week. Go, Cloris!
Julianne & Cody
Julianne is so breathtakingly beautiful that I don’t know how this poor boy concentrates! But, he worked on his A.D.D. this week and it paid off! He did a wonderful job staying focused and presenting a very good tango. I do agree with the Tom, the host, his outfit did look like that of a bell-hop! But, they were very good and deserve to remain in the competition.
Lance & Lacey
My favorite couple! Love Love Love, Lacey! Lance isn’t bad…. I like him. He’s a friend of Kathy Griffin’s… so, he’s in my “in crowd.” Great tango tonight with the entire “goth” theme. They are just so well rehearsed and Lacey is my favorite from So You Think You Can Dance. I voted for them like 4 times!
Maurice & Cheryl
So, I don’t remember very much about Maurice or the gold medals he won for our country… but, I am assuming that he is a much loved athlete that deserves my respect for what he earned for our country. And, I do. But, for the past two weeks… he just didn’t grab my attention and enthusiasm. He’s apparently a good dad and he seems to try really hard. But, no. Ugh. And, the red pants he wore tonight were not super flattering. Did anybody read the People Magazine article on her being “fat” at a size 4? ARE YOU F!%*king KIDDING ME? I hate Plastic Land.
Rocco & Karina
More than anything else this week, I loved Rocco’s Mom. Now, I do know who Rocco is and I understand he has an amazing following and is a good chef. But, he is NOT a good dancer. He seems to be a very nice man and also seems to have a good relationship with Karina. Were they even together when this photograph was taken? It looks like they photo-shopped her into the picture after the fact! I also used to love Karina, but not so much anymore after her relationship with Mario, the boob job, the nose job, etc. And, the way that Mario dumped her… that blew. But, I think I’m just kinda over her… and prefer Kym and Julianne to her. So… sorry, team… I’ve lost my gusto for you.
Susan and Tony
People still fuming over my wish upon a star to vanish Susan Lucci into thin air… back to All My Children and off of DWTS. So, she comes and dances a tango tonight. She got great scores. The judges complimented her on her acting and passion. WHAT? She still looked like a robot to me. Her “real life personality” (as shown on TV) comes across as her being the sweetest woman in the world. Now, that makes me feel like total sh*t, because I really hate her on the show. Not her as a person, but her dancing. It’s like the Stepford Wife dance. Please, please, please… somehow get her voted off. I can’t take it! But, I do like Tony. Congrats, Tony, on the birth of your twins!
Toni and Alec
Here’s another couple that I will get “boos” from. Now, undoubtedly, Toni is gorgeous and very talented. And, Alec… not so bad to look at. And, I understand that she has a heart problem and that this is really overcoming odds for her. That’s all great. But, as beautiful and talented as she is… she just doesn’t bring that “X factor” to the screen for me. It’s like I want her to break out of her shell and let it all out and she’s containing it within a bit. Another couple that I think need to go…. sorry.
Warren and Kym
I just LOVE this couple! Kym is such a sweet girl, great body, good dancer…. very sassy. I’ve rooted for her since her partnership with Jerry Springer. She’s just a cool chick! Warren… oh, Warren, Warren, Warren…. how I love thee. But, tonight… those brown pants were HIDEOUS! Shoot the wardrobe department. With yoru dance shoes, they made you look a bit fruity! And, you’re all man, baby, all man! Also, what happened this week with your “umph?” It’s like you just skated this week. Bring back the Warren from last week… that big strong man to toss me around in a gorgeous dress to a wonderful song… I want THAT Warren! He’ll be back next week, I’m sure of it!
[clearspring_widget title=”Dancing With The Stars on ABC.com” wid=”47df2410700a0b8c” pid=”48f43d5f4dce5a55″ width=”300″ height=”250″ domain=”widgets.abc.com”]
For more commentary on this week’s DWTS, visit Apooo’s Site… she’s got tons of good conversation on everything!